Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Insulin Pump

I went to my endocrinologist yesterday. My mom accompanied me this time. I think she could see the fear in me. It felt really great to have her with me; it was just so comforting. Anyway, my doctor said that I would be a perfect candidate for insulin pump. My blood sugar has been on roller coaster and using insulin pump should smooth it out. He warned me though that it would take more effort and commitment. He told me to expect testing my blood sugar for 6 times a day. I told him that I wanted to do it. So he set me up for appointments with his diabetic educator who will teach me how to use the pump. Unfortunately she is so busy that I can meet her on March 27 the earliest. Meanwhile, he told me to split up the Lantus injection to be 13 units at 10 pm and another 13 units at 10 am.

Happy news!!! My doctor said that the artificial pancreas was out there. It is similar to the pump but it can read blood sugar and automatically gives whatever dose of insulin needed. It is available but it is still very expensive and insurance still does not cover it at all. When I told this to my mom, she immediately said that she would pay for it. She did not ask how much! It was the greatest love I have ever felt. If God allows me be a mom someday, I wish to be like her. She seriously forced me to go back to my doctor and asked for it but I finally convinced her that the device is not perfect yet.

So here I am, I think the world will never go slow and easy on me. My graduation date is ticking, I will be out of school this May and that means I won't have health insurance anymore. I have been looking for information about this and been recommended to apply for cobra, which can extend my health insurance up to 18 months. But of course, I will have to pay for the premium charge. Sigh...I just hope that I will have the strength to keep my feet on the ground. It is just getting harder and harder.

No comments: