Friday, February 16, 2007

Blast from the past: D-Day

My life was perfect until I was in my fourth grade. That was when I started eating out of control. I was 125 lbs at age 10 and it kept going up until I gave up my courage to step on the scale. I can still remember how embarrassed I was to have my first pair of jeans sized 9. I was always the biggest among my friends and my sibblings even bigger than my older brother! I prayed and prayed to be beautiful like other girls. Then miracle came. One day, about two years later, I was brave enough to weigh myself and it was 114 lbs!!! O my God how I felt like dancin'. I told my mom right away eventhough she was out of town for my aunt's silver anniversary. She was so happy for me and said "You must have been on diet!" I smiled and laughed but felt confused because I was NEVER on diet. Anyway I did not care. Losing weight was the only thing I cared; I was the happiest creature on earth. This went on and on until I reached 92 lbs. My mom started getting suspicious. She realized I was not on diet; I ate more than ever and I was always dehydrated all the time. I also had to pee like crazy. Another strange thing was I found lots of my hairs on my pillow every morning when I woke up. One morning when I was 12 years old, my mom asked all of her children to put a glucose test stick when we urinated. Well lucky me, I was the only one that had glucose in my urine. The stick turned to dark blue which meant that there was HUGE amount of glucose.
Never thought that diabetes could happen to little kids, I was shocked and I was not the only one. I could still remember my mom's expression trying her best to be brave for me. I knew just a tiny bit about diabetes back then. All I knew was that my grandparents, who had been diabetics for long, had to take some pills and reduced sweets consumption. I thought to myself "I could do that! It should not be that bad..."

2 comments:

Deb Koo said...

It must've been really hard for you...
but you were a brave girl and u still are :)
I'm soo proud of you :D

Anonymous said...

you can always count on me for anything....all the best nik...i understand how hard it is...